Thursday, July 8, 2010

The History of America (as far as I know)

OK, we slacked off, but who can help it? Our last post was on Friday, June 25, 2010. That means that in between we had a bunch of stuff, including swimming, the movies, swimming, feeding ducks and a goose, swimming, Dad's B-Day, swimming, the pancake breakfast, swimming, movie nights, swimming, and a presidency meeting at our house. You get the point.


The History Of America
Once a long time ago, in 16-something - Wait. Even before that. Before even Christ was born, Lehi took his family to the Promised Land: America. Then after wars and contentions, all the Nephites died out and the Lamanites ruled the land.
In 1492, explorer Christopher Columbus,
under contract to the Spanish crown, reached several Caribbean islands, making first contact with the native people. These were the descendants of the Lamanites. Soon, Britain found the land North America and started the colonies. France also wanted land in the New Land. So when they started inching over into the colonies, Britain was angry. They sent the soldiers to fight off the French. The British won. After the French and Indian War, the British had lost money. So they taxed the colonies to pay themselves back. People got angry. Soon, they had the Revolutionary War. After many battles, Cornwallis surrendered to Washington at the Battle of Yorktown. After that, the Americans voted Washington to be their President. They created the new plan of government, and all that. We haven't gotten to the Civil War in Social Studies this year. I wonder if in 6th grade...

3 comments:

  1. Oh, I am so glad you posted again! I have been checking every day! You are quite smart about the history of America. I bet that living on the east coast has helped you learn a lot. I think your mom does a good job teaching you and taking you to see really neat historical sites.

    Where have you been doing all this "swimming"? We swim almost every day, but we have a pool in our back yard, so it is super easy to do that. I wish you could come and swim in our pool with us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray!
    A new post! I'm right there with all your other followers checking every day. (Note that I cannot really comment due to my own very ancient blogging activity.) I love thus historical view. Do you ever wonder what would history have been like without all the conflicts. . . . sometimes I wonder, "why can't we all just get along?"




    a

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I missed this post because i was at the cabin with the peels, Smiths, and Frenches.

    ReplyDelete